Short-term effects can include irritation of eyes, nose and throat; and aggravation of respiratory diseases such as asthma. Long-term exposure to air pollutants increases the risk of respiratory and cardiovascular disease, as well as cancer.
Although mostly invisible to the naked eye, the air we breathe is full of tiny particles of; chemicals, soil, smoke, dust or allergens, in the form of liquids, gases, or solids. When we burn fossil fuels for energy use and production, the release of gases and chemicals create air pollution, posing a risk to human health. These minuscule airborne hazards are referred to as particulate matter or PM.
Where does Particulate Matter come from?
The amount of particulate matter in the air at any given time depends on the environment you find yourself in. These particles are released from a variety of sources both indoors and outdoors. When inside, PM levels are typically the same or lower than outside.
Why is it called Particulate Matter 2.5?
The 2.5 in PM2.5 refers to the size of the pollutant in micrometres. Micrometres have this symbol: µm and are equivalent to 0.001 millimetres. The smallest thing that the average human eye can perceive is about 0.1 millimetres, which is around the same width as a human hair (50-70PM). So in order for us to see something as incredibly small as a micrometre, we need to use powerful microscopes.
Understanding AQI levels – Air Quality Index
Pollution levels are generally measured on a scale of 0-500
Even at moderate levels, particulate matter can still be harmful to sensitive people. When air pollution levels are lower, the cardiovascular and respiratory health of a person will be much improved, both long and short term.
- In London where nearly 10 000 people die prematurely each year due to poor quality air. The government has put in place a decade long low emissions zone. Although the government’s clean air strategy has been criticized as being “toothless and woefully inadequate”.
- China has been bashed as one of the world’s deadliest country’s for air pollution with calculations that 1.6 million people die each year from breathing bad air. The government has responded forcefully, claiming to “make our skies blue again” by investing heavily in renewable energies and placing population caps on leading cities to prevent “big city disease”.
- Cities from Sao Paolo to Beijing and Oslo have instituted car bans in a bid to halt spiralling levels of carbon emissions from vehicles in urban environments.
- India is ushering in the use of new fuels in a desperate bid to slash its terrible air quality record. The new fuels will have one-fifth the sulphur count of the existing standards, and 1,000 times less sulphur than fuels used in 1995. The measures can’t come soon enough for a country declaring a pollution emergency, wherein the capital the effects are likened to smoking 50 cigarettes a day.
How can air purification help?
The OZO product range can facilitate clean air for your indoors. Our virus neutralising and air filtration systems ensure the removal of viruses, bacteria in air and surfaces. With our HEPA13 and UVC technology, we can filter and clean the air up to 10 times in an hour. Virus is actively removed and destroyed continually.
OZO Sanitized consult with businesses to explore what practical steps can be taken through technology to uphold sanitised clean air.
Our consultation team work to understand room sizes, room heights and how air filtration systems and ozone generation can safeguard their staff and customers. Our virus neutralising machines confidently boast the decontamination of indoor air from viruses, bacteria, mould and most impressively COVID-19.
These air purification systems boast:
- The ultimate duty of care for supplying clean sterile air in indoor spaces.
- The OZO Pure and OZO Duo virus neutralising technology gives a 99.9999% virus kill rate.
- Our range of air sterilisation units offer combined air purification and sterilisation through HEPA 13 filter and then the UVC lamps
- Controlled airflow and improved air ventilation in the workspace – The OZO Pure and OZO Duo can take the danger away from the breathing in virus and replaces it with clean air.
Our Air Filtration Machines
The OZO Air Purification machines are highly specified medical-grade high-performance air purification systems.
The OZO Duo model is a great choice for installing in large rooms, communal areas, hospital wards, offices, hotel lobbies, waiting rooms, restaurants, commercial spaces, childcare facilities, government buildings and leisure facilities.
The OZO Pure is the ideal unit for smaller commercial spaces such as medical and dental surgeries, offices, care homes, classrooms, government buildings, single patient rooms, waiting rooms, care facilities, leisure facilities etc.